Monday, June 16, 2014

US Open 2014

Last week I had the pleasure of being a USGA volunteer for the US Open Golf Championship in Pinehurst, NC.  I’ve been a longtime member of the USGA and this was my first experience as a volunteer – it was fantastic.  I would highly recommend any USGA member reading this to volunteer for any of the USGA events including the Women’s open and Amateur open championships.

A huge congratulations to Martin Kaymer on his 2nd major win.  He was kind enough to provide my son with an autograph as he left the course on Tuesday and I’d like to think that extra bit of karma helped him on his very impressive victory this week.  Well done Martin, you played excellent golf on a very, very tough course and did it with style and grace.

Now for my thoughts on the course…

I’ve been playing golf now for almost 40 years.  I spent my formative years in Augusta, GA and have probably attended close to 30 Masters golf tournaments.  In 2005 when the US Open was last played at Pinehurst #2 I was there and when the PGA was played at Kiawah I was able to attend AND bring my children (which was very special).  I’ve played courses that have hosted US Opens, Open Championships and PGAs – still looking for my round at Augusta National (hint, hint).

My point here is not to brag it is to establish that I am NOT a “come hither” golfer or golf commentator.  I know the game, I play the game and I’ve spent a lot of time studying golf course design.  Alister MacKenzie’s book on design is a must read in my opinion (Golf Architecture).

One last disclaimer before I make my main point….  I am a HUGE Ben Crenshaw fan.  I’ve had the pleasure of meeting him on two occasions and just think the world of him and his contributions to the game over the years so what I’m about to say should NOT be viewed as an attack on Mr. Crenshaw.

Pinehurst #2 right now is a dog track.  For those of you not familiar with that vernacular, it’s a golfer’s term for a course that is not in very good shape.  I would submit that the course I grew up playing in Augusta (Augusta Municipal Golf Course – a.k.a. the “Cabbage Patch”) is playing right now in better shape.  The greens are spectacular, don’t get me wrong, but the overall condition of the course is pathetic.

imageimage

(Above - Which course is which?)

Let me be specific, the tee boxes are bare and the grass is dying.  The fairways are in intolerable condition – I’d ask for my money back.

Coore and Crenshaw are responsible for this.  To intentionally kill grass and remove beautiful fairways is a crime.  Try it yourself – drive down to your local, expensive golf course with a big bucket of Round Up and see how fast YOU get arrested.

Donald Ross’ original concept for domed greens was born out of necessity.  Basically, the technology in 1907 when the course was first constructed was rudimentary at best.  Watering systems were imprecise and the sub-air systems that most top-notch courses enjoy now were 60 years in the future.  Ross needed a design that would not only accept watering but would drain evenly.  The “natural areas” that C&C have now created were there originally because of necessity, not from design.  In fact Ross attempted in several of his designs (mostly in the American Southwest) to transform brown, rough areas into well manicured, green spaces.

See any other Ross courses HERE that look like Pinehurst #2 today?

If you look back to the origins of golf, the game was created on the “wastelands” between arable land and the beach.  (Look up the origins of Scottish bunkers for some free entertainment)  This land was naturally dry, hard and mostly barren with small tufts of grass and gorse.  That was the TRUE NATURE of that land.

What’s happened at Pinehurst #2 is a tragedy.  They’ve intentionally parched the soil and killed 70% of the grass in a cheap attempt to fabricate a Scottish links course 100 miles away from the ocean.  Listening to the talking heads of the Golf Channel and ESPN blindly praise these changes frankly made me ill.

I know I’m taking the unpopular view here, chide me if you must.  But American golf 100 miles from the nearest ocean does not NOT look like this.  The Kiawah ocean course is a masterpiece because of its design and location.  Can you imagine what would happen if you attempted to make it look like Augusta National?  Pinehurst #2 should resemble, well, other courses at Pinehurst.  Let the Ross design speak for itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment